This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
107 Newington Road
+44(0)131 667 5046
Overall Score: ★★★☆☆
Disclaimer: In exchange for this post, Mr B and I dined here free of charge. The opinions expressed in this article remain my own.
I love Indian food, but since turning vegan I have always been a bit apprehensive about trying new places because I always assume they use ghee in their cooking. As you can imagine, I was absolutely delighted when I was approached by Voujon’s PR team to try their offering, especially when they confirmed they had vegan options.
Vegan options available at Voujon
Voujon has an omnivore menu with a great selection of vegetarian dishes, many of which are vegan or can be made vegan on request. Sadly, these vegan options are not clearly marked on their menu. The PR team was able to give me a list of some of the dishes that are safe for vegans, but some of these had to be tweaked on the night to be made suitable.
The team at Voujon have lots of experience in catering for vegans so just let them know about your requirements when you book, or ask your server to help you out. When I went along, these were vegan-friendly dishes that were available:
- Spicy garlic mushrooms Mushrooms cooked with a touch of garlic and spice, served with salad
- Aloo chat Small juicy pieces of potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes with a hot and sour sauce
- Vegetable samosas Crispy triangular shaped pastries stuffed with mixed vegetables (the vegan version comes without the yoghurt dip)
- Panee puri Crispy balls of pastry stuffed with chickpeas, potatoes, red onions and coriander served with a tangy tamarind sauce
- Sabzi jalfrezie A variety of vegetables blended with fresh herbs and spices, served in a medium hot sauce
- Jhal annaj Fairly hot mixed vegetables, steam cooked with fresh green chillies, coriander leaves and lentils garnished with a touch of fresh ginger
- Sabzi achar Mixed vegetables in a medium hot and sour sauce with lime pickle, chillies and coriander
- Sabzi biryani Basmati rice and mixed vegetables cooked together in a blend of herbs and spices, served with a vegetable curry.
Sides such as the pilau rice, chapati and tandoori roti are also suitable for vegans.
I think Voujon should make more noise about their vegan offering, because both Mr B and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Even on a rainy weeknight, the restaurant was reassuringly full.
To start, the vegetable samosas were lovely and crispy, while Mr B happily munched down his panee puri. Our mains were just as delicious, with Mr B absolutely loving his vegetable biryani, and my jhal annaj was satisfyingly hot without being overwhelmingly spicy. I especially loved the tandoori roti, which is a great vegan alternative to naan bread (often cooked in butter).
Voujon is clearly a really popular place with a good reputation, and their vegan offering is small yet solid. Local people seem to really like this place, so it would be great if Voujon clearly marked their delicious vegan options to get even more customers through the door.
Menu info: ★☆☆☆☆
Value for money: ★★★★☆