78 Commercial Street
Phone: +44(0)131 555 1755
Overall score: ★★★★★
Who says vegans can’t enjoy fine dining?! The Kitchin is one of Edinburgh’s finest culinary establishments, awarded a Michelin star only a year after its opening back in 2007.
Headed up by the legendary chef Tom Kitchin, the restaurant’s philosophy revolves around seasonal dining ‘from nature to plate’. Everything is sourced as locally as possible, as responsibly as possible. So, you can imagine my excitement when I realised that this ethos also extended to a fully-fledged vegan menu.
Vegan food at The Kitchin
As everything is so seasonal, the menu changes often depending on what’s available at that time of year. I visited late springtime, and to give you an idea of what to expect I have written up the full menu below. However, don’t be surprised if you are offered something completely different if you visit at a different time of year.
- Asparagus Steamed Eassie Farm asparagus, raw asparagus and orange
- Fennel Braised Vallum Farm fennel served with Tomlinson’s farm rhubarb
- Lentil Salad of green lentil, raw vegetables from Ken Holland and candied hazelnut
- Risotto Ken Holland’s seasonal vegetable risotto, radish and pheasant back mushrooms
- St George St George mushroom ragoût, peas, broad beans and wild garlic
- Artichoke Barigoule of artichokes served with black olives and raw artichoke
- Strawberry & Wild Mint Blacketyside strawberries, wild water mint, strawberry sorbet
- Apple Poached Granny Smith apples, apple sorbet and sea buckthorn consomme
Well, safe to say that The Kitchin really took care of us. Even before we started our meal, we had so much food! We nibbled on seasonal vegetables and olive tapenade as we perused the menu, then shortly after we ordered we were served a small bowl of carrot and ginger veloute and a hearty loaf of bread with oil.
Then the meal came. Oh my goodness. What an incredible experience. Everything was prepared to perfection, bringing out the very best in all the local seasonal vegetables. Even the risotto, which is normally a predictable go-to for most restaurants lacking imagination when it comes to vegan cooking, absolutely sang with vivid green peas and a generous topping of fresh vegetables.
The perfect meal was topped off with a lovely surprise birthday cake*. It was beautiful, rich and chocolatey… and of course, completely free of animal products.
If it’s within your budget and you can plan far enough ahead in advance, then The Kitchin is an absolute must-visit. Who says that vegans can’t enjoy the finer things in life?
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆
*I don’t think the cake is served as standard to most diners. Apparently, it was something do with me turning 30… but the less said about that, the better!