This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
44 Candlemaker Row
+44(0)131 220 5000
Overall score: ★★★☆☆
Vegan food available at Tang’s
There are a few vegan options available at Tangs, but as they aren’t marked very clearly on the menu we had to ask the kitchen to tell us exactly what was suitable. At the time of writing, the following dishes on the menu are vegan-friendly:
- Edamame Poached edamame beans sprinkled with sea salt flakes
- Kaison salad Seaweed salad
- Agedashi tofu Deep fried tofu served with tentsuyu broth (can be made vegan on request)
- Tofu teriyaki Tofu grilled or fried with a glaze of soy sauce, mirin, sugar and served with rice
Spicy Udon Noodles
- Tofu spicy udon noodles Thick wok fried noodles full of bold flavours, moderately hot
- Garden bento Deep fried teriyaki tofu accompanied by green tea jelly, rice and edamame beans
- Avocado roll
- Cucumber roll
- Mochi A classic Japanese dessert made from rice jelly and a curiously sweet red bean paste
- Banana harumaki A banana spring roll with red bean paste and walnuts
It was my friend’s birthday recently (Michelle – she’s awesome – make sure you say hello to her at Oh Sew Vegan) so we wanted to go somewhere a little different to celebrate. Tangs is a Japanese restaurant tucked away off George IV Bridge and I’d heard some great stuff about their veggie offering, so it seemed like the perfect candidate.
Unfortunately, the vegan food isn’t clearly marked on the menu, but our server was able to check in with the kitchen and there were a good few options to choose from. I had the avocado sushi to start, followed by the garden bento box, but I looked over at envy as my friends enjoyed agedashi tofu, udon noodles and tofu teriyaki. It all looked so delicious!
Weirdly enough, our server was really apologetic that there weren’t more dishes that we could choose from – but I thought it was a fairly solid selection. Tangs definitely has nothing to be ashamed of – and I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for Japanese food in the Old Town.
Menu info: ★☆☆☆☆
Value for money: ★★★★☆