This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
126 Nicolson Street
+44(0)131 667 0200
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Soul Sushi is a fairly new addition to the main stretch in Newington, offering up a great selection of sushi to sit in or take away. The place looks quite small from the outside, but there are in fact quite a few tables beside a really funky indoor mural where you can sit and enjoy your food.
They also have a really popular delivery service, so if you prefer you can get a full platter of vegan sushi delivered to devour in the comfort of your very own home (or AirBnB!).
Read on to find out about the vegan delights at Soul Sushi…
Vegan food at Soul Sushi
All of the veggie sushi is kept in a separate cabinet from the raw fish, which is nice. Even though the options aren’t clearly marked as vegan, all of the dairy and egg ingredients are well signposted so you should be able to make a choice with confidence. If you’re not sure, the helpful staff will be willing to help you out.
At the time of writing, the following goodies are suitable for vegans:
- Miso soup with tofu and spring onion
Salads and Sides
- Seaweed salad with wakame, cucumber, carrot, white sesame, soy and sesame dressing
- Edamame beans
- Edamame beans with spicy garlic
- Vegetable (5 pieces)
- Sweet potato katsu curry with sushi rice, curry sauce, spring onions and pickled ginger
- Cucumber and sesame hosomaki
- Pickled radish hosomaki
- Spicy avocado hosomaki
- Asparagus nigiri
- Mixed vegetarian hosomaki Cucumber and sesame, sweet potato teriyaki, spicy avocado
- Garden platter (can be made vegan on request) Teriyaki tofu roll, mixed veg roll, spicy avocado hosomaki, cucumber and sesame hosomaki, asparagus nigiri, edamame beans
- Teriyaki tofu Puffed tofu, red pepper, cucumber, teriyaki sauce
- Mixed vegetable roll Cucumber, red pepper, asparagus, pickled radish, avocado
- Butternut squash with chilli (updated recipe means that this roll is now vegan! Huzzah!)
As you are probably well aware, Mr B and I absolutely adore vegan sushi and it’s safe to say Soul Sushi did not disappoint. We got a mixed vegetable hosomaki box to share – a monster of 24 vegetarian sushi pieces, as well as a teriyaki tofu roll and a miso soup each.
From the mixed veg hosomaki box, I would say that the sweet potato roll was my favourite. It was a really unusual sushi filling that I personally haven’t seen anywhere else before, but it worked really well and I could have quite happily munched through a box or two more of them!
I also really enjoyed the miso soup. I love miso soup anyway, but this one was full of flavoursome spring onion which made it more memorable than most. Nowadays, I never have a sushi meal without a steaming bowl of miso.
Soul Sushi is a wee gem in the heart of Newington. If you want something filling yet healthy in the Old Town, this is certainly a really good place to go.
Menu info: ★★★☆☆
Value for money: ★★★★☆