This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
18 William Street
+44(0)131 225 6376
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Roots is a cosy wee café tucked away in Edinburgh’s West End. It’s not been open for long, but its already established itself as a firm favourite for lunch with those who like healthy, wholesome eats. The management are really passionate about great food, and they clearly mark what options are vegan and gluten-free – making it an absolute haven for those with dietary requirements.
Vegan food at Roots
Because Roots make their menu from fresh, seasonal food, the offering changes every day. However, you’ll find that normally around 90% of the offering is vegetarian, and about 70% is vegan. Here are some sample dishes so you can get an idea of what to expect:
Available all day
- Granola with goji berries Natural yoghurt, banana and berries (vegan option available)
- Porridge Add toppings for an additional cost: banana, berry compote or soya yoghurt
- Smoothies See the selection of the day on the specials board
- Toast Choose from a selection of toppings:
- with jam / marmalade
- with avocado and lime salt
- Salad bar Includes options such as:
- Beetroot, apple, celery, pear and clementine
- Potatoes with sunflower seed and basil pesto
- Chickpeas and green peas with sriracha
- Cous-cous, preserved lemon, courgette pepper and herbs
- Turmeric-spiced cauliflower and broccoli
- Spiced carrot and spring greens with soy
- Cabbage, pickled gherkin, carrot slaw, cider vinegar
- Tomato, celery and red onion
- Mushroom, barley, carrot with soy, lime juice, garlic and sesame oil
- Soup of the day with at least one vegan option always available
- Filled rolls
- Stew of the day
- Pasta of the day
There are also lots of little sweet treats available, such as vegan chocolate bites, vegan carrot cake and vegan cookies.
The food might be wholesome and good for you, but it tastes great too. The colours from the salad bar entice you as soon as you walk through the door, so grab a bowl and fill it as high as you can with tasty veggies. Or why not grab a table and enjoy a warming bowl of soup? A lifesaver in these cold Scottish winter months.
The sweet treats are great too. They’re certainly decadent, but small enough for you to enjoy without feeling guilty about it. Finishing off your meal with a small sweet bite is an absolute must at Roots!
With so many great vegan options, this little West End gem is the perfect place for a spot of breakfast or lunch. Head along and give them a try.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆