38 The Shore
+44(0)131 554 4332
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Pizza Express used to be one of my favourites, but since I turned vegan I generally stayed away because I was never sure if I would be catered for. As you can imagine, Pizza Express’ introduction of vegan mozzarella alternative in their menu was great news as it opened up a huge range of options on the menu that had been out-of-bounds for quite some time.
Full of excitement and with two very hungry bellies, Mr B and I popped along to their restaurant on The Shore to discover Pizza Express’ new vegan options.
Vegan food available at Pizza Express
The great news is that there are lots of options at Pizza Express, just tell your server that you’re vegan and they’ll see you right. At the time of writing, the dishes that are vegan or that can be made vegan are:
- Marinated olives
- Rustica tomatoes
- Dough balls (ask for the garlic butter to be removed and replaced with vegetable oil)
- Bruschetta originale Dough brushed with garlic butter and topped with chopped fresh tomato, red onion, fresh basil and pesto (ask for the garlic butter and pesto to be removed)
- Superfood salad Black rice, edamame beans, red quinoa, mung beans, chickpeas, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and kale in a vinaigrette on a bed of seasonal mixed leaves, rocket, cucumber, roasted red and yellow peppers, red onion and fresh parsley with light house dressing (ask for the dressing to be removed)
- Margherita Mozzarella and tomato (ask for the mozzarella to be removed and replaced with their dairy-free alternative)
- Margherita Bufala Buffalo mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil, fresh tomato, garlic oil and oregano, finished with fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil (ask for the mozzarella to be removed and replaced with their dairy-free alternative)
- Padana Goats cheese, caramelised onion, spinach, red onion, tomato and garlic oil (ask for the mozzarella and goat’s cheese to be removed and replaced with their dairy-free alternative)
- Pianta Spinach, closed cup mushroom, pine kernels, artichoke, tomato, chilli flakes and garlic oil finished with rocket, extra virgin olive oil and fresh parsley
- Soho 65 Mozzarella and tomato with black olives, buffalo mozzarella and garlic oil, finished with rocket, shaved Gran Milano cheese and extra virgin olive oil (ask for the mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella and Gran Milano to be removed and replaced with their dairy-free alternative)
- Vegan Giardiniera Artichoke, asparagus, red onion and black olives with tomato, vegan mozzarella alternative and garlic oil, finished with fresh parsley
- Veneziana Pine kernels, red onion, baby capers, black olives, sultanas, mozzarella and tomato (ask for the mozzarella to be removed and replaced with their dairy-free alternative)
- Mixed leaf salad Seasonal mixed leaves, rocket, fresh tomatoes and cucumber with house dressing (ask for the dressing to be removed)
- Polenta chips Italian polenta chips with rosemary, oven-baked and finished with Gran Milano cheese, served with honey & mustard dressing dip (ask for the Gran Milano and dressing to be removed)
- Raspberry sorbet
- Coconut delight Two scoops of coconut sorbet, made with coconut milk and coconut pieces, served with fresh mint
The Vegan Giardiniera pizza is noted as a summer special on the menu, but fingers crossed it sticks around. This is a beautifully colourful pizza featuring asparagus and artichokes – two of my favourite pizza toppings! Mr B decided to go rogue and made his own custom pizza with the vegan mozzarella alternative and red onions, which he really enjoyed.
Vegan options on the dessert menu include the sorbet – no surprises there. But I indulged in the deliciously creamy Coconut Delight dessert, a lovely alternative to traditional ice cream.
Obviously, this new addition to the menu is not only great news for Edinburgh vegans, but for everyone across the UK with a local Pizza Express. Chain restaurants seem to be upping their game in catering for vegans – here’s hoping that trend continues!
Menu info: ★★★★☆
Value for money: ★★★★☆
For this review, we visited Pizza Express on The Shore in Leith, but there are lots of branches across Edinburgh. find the closest one near you:
- 23 North Bridge (Old Town), EH1 1SB
- 32 Queensferry Street (West End), EH2 4QS
- 111 Holyrood Road (Old Town), EH8 8AU
- 1 Victoria Street (Old Town), EH1 2JL
- 1 Deanhaugh Street (Stockbridge), EH4 1LU
- Ocean Terminal shopping centre (Old Town), EH6 6JJ