This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
24a Hill Street
Overall score: ★★★★★
After been doing the rounds for a few years with vegan festivals, home deliveries and stocking the likes of Harvey Nicols, The Dome and Waterstones Café, Naked Bakery finally opened their very own premises on Hill Street in December 2018.
Naked Bakery’s offering is totally vegan, and they also go to special efforts to cater for other dietary requirements as well, such as gluten-free. Louise’s creations have been described as pieces of “edible art”, and when you see the pictures of her gorgeous cakes and macarons below, you’ll understand why!
Vegan food at Naked Bakery
The cakes and macarons at Naked Bakery have had a cult following for quite some time now, but with the new café comes a new savoury lunch menu, which of course is also completely vegan. They re-launched their savoury menu in February 2019, with even more tempting treats and beautiful dishes to try.
At the time of writing, these are the options available:
- Full Scottish Breakfast Turmeric tofu scramble, square sausage, black pudding, plant-based maple bacon, spinach, tomatoes on the vine, potato scone, beans and toasted white bread.
- Tofu turmeric scramble on Toast Turmeric tofu scramble served on sourdough toast with spinach, spring onions and tomatoes on the vine. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Pink Waffles Light and crispy pink waffles served with whipped cream, strawberries, banana, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and maple syrup. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Avocado on Whole Wheat Toast Smashed avocado on toasted whole wheat bread served with baby plum tomatoes. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Avocado and Beetroot Hummus on Whole Wheat Toast Avocado roses on toasted whole wheat bread served with home-made beetroot hummus
- Toastie Toasted cheese sandwich on chunky white bread. Your option to add any of the following for an extra cost:
- Plant-based maple bacon
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese Toastie Toasted sandwich on chunky white bread with Mac ‘n’ Cheese. Your option to add any of the following for an extra cost:
- Plant-based maple bacon
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese A hearty bowl of Mac ‘n’ Cheese served with a slice of toasted crust garlic bread. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Loaded Fries Skin-on fries with house made cheese sauce, plant-based bacon bits, sliced chilli and spring onion
- Naked Bakery Signature Burger House-made brioche buns with Beyond Meat Burger, lettuce, tomato, beetroot hummus, avocado, pink mayo and sweet potato fries. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese Burger House-made charcoal brioche buns with Beyond Meat Burger, mac ‘n’ cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and skin-on fries. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Cheese Burger House-made charcoal brioche buns with Beyond Meat Burger, house-made cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, mayo, onion rings and skin-on fries. Add plant-based maple bacon for an extra £3.
- Soup Red curry noodle soup served with broccoli, peppers and spring onion, spinach and a slice of toasted crusty sourdough bread
- Roasted Tomato Soup served with a slice of toasted crusty sourdough bread
- Tomato soup with toasted crusty bread
- Mac ‘n’ cheese with toast
- Acocado on toast
- Cheese toastie
- Turmeric tofu scramble on toast
- Skin-on fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Mac ‘n’ cheese
- Onion rings
- Beetroot hummus
Of course, this is all well and good, but let’s be honest. At Naked Bakery, we are very much here for the cake. The range of sweet treats available will be on display at the glass counter on your way in, but to give you an idea of what to expect, here are some of their cake and macaron varieties:
- Raspberry and white chocolate
- Black velvet
- Candyfloss unicorn
- Lemon and honae
- Apple and caramel
- Black forest
- Apple caramel crumble
- Carrot cake
- Lemon and honae
- Birthday cake
- Jaffa cake
- Cookies and cream
- Peanut butter jelly
… and much more! The selection changes every day.
How much does it cost?
Large cakes are £3.50 a slice, cupcakes are £2.50 each and macarons are £1.50 each. If you’re looking at the savoury options, the cheese toastie is £4.50 or, if you fancy something more substantial, the vegan mac ‘n’ cheese burger is £13.
Is it any good?
Some bakeries are all style and no substance, but that is definitely not the case here at Naked Bakery. These cakes taste just as good as they look!
The macarons are just as tasty as their non-vegan counterparts, if not more so. The cakes are moist, sweet and look absolutely gorgeous. I mean, just look at them! Rip open a candyfloss unicorn cupcake and you’ll find a wonderful colourful surprise, or treat yourself to a Rudolph cupcake to get into the festive spirit.
An equal amount of love is given to their savoury menu, which has a good balance of wholesome dishes, such as avocado on toast and red noodle soup, and decadent treats like Beyond Meat burgers and mac ‘n’ cheese. The avocado and beetroot hummus on toast is delightfully Instagrammable, while the Mac ‘n’ Cheese burger is just pure filth (in a good way)!
The café itself is also one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. The walls are covered in oh-so-Instragrammable purple flowers, the table numbers are labelled with beautiful gold signs and the plates, bowls and cups are gorgeous black and gold. These guys have paid serious attention to detail, and it shows.
If sweet delicious treats are your thing, then add Naked Bakery to your must-visit list. With their beautiful cakes and tasty macarons, this is an essential stop on the vegan Edinburgh circuit.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆
Naked Bakery Opening Hours
These opening hours are correct at the time of writing. For the most accurate times, check Naked Bakery’s Facebook page (linked above). Bear in mind, Naked Bakery may close early on some days if they sell out.
Monday 9 am – 6 pm
Tuesday 9 am – 6 pm
Wednesday 9 am – 6 pm
Thursday 9 am – 8 pm
Friday 9 am – 6 pm
Saturday 9 am – 6 pm
Sunday 11.30 am – 5 pm
Love Naked Bakery? Pin it for later!