This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
2 South Trinity Road
+44(0)131 552 3292
Overall score: ★★★★★
Disclaimer: In exchange for this post, Mr B and I dined here free of charge. The opinions expressed in this article remain my own.
The Herringbone is a gorgeous bar/restaurant just off Inverleith Row. This all-day bistro expanded from their North Berwick home just over a year ago, and they seem to be settling into their new Goldenacre location very nicely, thank you very much.
The place is light, airy and painfully stylish with lots of beautiful details – think lush green plants, oversized lampshades, marble tabletops and pastel coloured mismatched chairs. Even on a weekday evening, the place was reassuring full of patrons either enjoying a casual meal out or enjoying a cheeky wee round of mid-week drinks.
Vegan food at Herringbone Goldenacre
The Herringbone’s ethos is good seasonal and regional ingredients, served simply. This place has a completely separate vegan menu, so don’t forget to ask your server for it as you are seated. As well as the dishes listed below, the Herringbone has a comprehensive wine list with the vegan options clearly marked, so you can pick your accompanying tipple with confidence.
- Beetroot, spelt and charred pear salad
- Soup of the day with artisan seeded loaf
- Hummus and flatbread with crispy onion and olive salad
- Sweet potato salad with avocado, lime, coriander and crispy tortilla
- Charred aubergine with ras el hanout and spelt
- Roast butternut squash and asparagus salad with popitas, tahini and lemon
- Chickpea and sweet potato burger with mango chutney, aubergine bhaji, rocket, coriander and fries
- BB salad
- Green beans and broccoli with house tomato sauce
- Artisan bread with olives and oils
- Sweet potato fries
- Fries with the option to add garlic, chilli or curry oil
- Elderflower and rhubarb jelly with macerated strawberries
- Blackcurrant sorbet with dark cherries and almonds
- Chocolate brownie with poached pear, cherries and chocolate sorbet
The vegan food at Herringbone Goldenacre is sublime. I had the sweet potato salad to start – I would never have thought to put sweet potato in a summer salad to be honest, but the coriander and avocado made it really fresh and perfect for this time of year. Mr B went for the more simple hummus and flatbread, but it was executed brilliantly. The bread was lightly fired and the hummus has a rich beetroot colour with some fried onions for some crunch.
For our main course I opted for the charred aubergine which was served with a hearty “ras el hanout” stew and spelt grains. It was a very generous helping, with the ras el hanout in particular being very rich and comforting. Meanwhile, Mr B had one of the most exotic looking burgers we’ve ever seen! The sweet potato and chickpea patty was served on a flatbread with lots of fresh coriander and a generous helping of fries on the side.
We were both pretty stuffed at this point, but we managed to share a single helping of the vegan brownie between us. The brownie itself was decadent and soft, and it was also served with a rich chocolate sorbet and poached pear slices. Such a good way to round off the meal.
Mr B and I absolutely loved the vegan menu at Herringbone Goldenacre. The menu brings together some tried-and-true classics with exciting and interesting twists. This is the perfect place to enjoy a decent meal with good wine, in a very stylish yet relaxed setting. We really enjoyed our visit and already can’t wait to go back.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆
Love it? Pin it for Later!