This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
Henderson’s Salad Table Restaurant
94 Hanover Street
+44(0)131 225 2131
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Henderson’s Salad Table, tucked just below ground level on Hanover Street, is a well-known name with everyone in Edinburgh. Even though it is a vegetarian restaurant – omnivores, vegans and vegetarians alike are all well aware of its reputation.
The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner. During lunch service, you can head up to the counter and choose whatever salad or hot dish you would like. In the evening it’s table service, so you can sit down, relax and take your pick from their dinner menu.
Vegan options at Henderson’s Salad Table
Henderson’s Salad Table has a completely vegetarian menu, with vegan options clearly labelled. The menu has been slightly updated since I took the pictures at my last visit, but the dishes below should give you an idea of what to expect:
- Soup of the day Served with bread or gluten-free oatcakes
- Cullen skink soup Served with croutons or gluten-free oatcakes on request
- Warm winter salad Roasted butternut squash, brussel sprouts, pecan nuts and cranberries in a red wine dressing
- Arancini with courgette Served with sun-dried tomato and cashew pesto
- Mac & cheese
- Haggis bon bons
- Bread and olives with dipping oils
- Henderson’s haggis with red wine gravy, root mash, sauteed spinach
- Beetroot spatzle with creamy rosemary sauce and crispy onions
- Creamy braised seitan with leek & red cabbage
- Nut loaf served with brussel sprouts, red wine gravy and cranberry jam
- Baked aubergine served with red wine plum sauce and pumpkin seeds
- Chef’s one-pot special with rice (vegan option available)
- Seasonal fruit pie
- Fresh fruit salad
- Chocolate nut cake
- Berry Compote
Hendersons Salad Table restaurant is an institution in Edinburgh, so this place is always going to be a solid bet for lunch or dinner. Yes, the restaurant is vegetarian, but I would say around 75% of the menu is vegan or can be made vegan – so you won’t be stuck for choice.
The vegan haggis and mash is a must-try for anyone who is visiting for the first time. However, their more adventurous dishes like the hassleback aubergine are also really tasty. There is a nice range of desserts too. Unfortunately, there was no seasonal fruit pie available when I visited, so I opted for a special banana and chocolate mousse. It was so rich I was barely able to finish it!
Hendersons is a household name in Edinburgh for vegetarian food – so pop in here and you know you’ll be in safe hands.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★☆☆