Filmhouse Café Bar
88 Lothian Road
+44(0)131 229 5932
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Most Edinburgh locals know of the Filmhouse – it’s the quirky cinema on Lothian Road that showcases all the latest blockbusters and lesser-known indie gems, and is the flagship venue of the Edinburgh International Film Festival.
But did you know that it also has a buzzing café and bar with a really decent food menu for vegans? Here’s what’s on offer:
Vegan options at Filmhouse Café Bar
In addition to the options listed below, there are also specials which are clearly marked above the bar. Take a look and pick whatever takes your fancy!
- Soup of the day served with white or wholemeal bread and vegan spread
- Garlic and herb ciabatta
- Seasonal mixed salad served with a garlic and grain mustard dressing
- Homemade hummus served with vegan flatbread, toasted peanuts and microherbs. Choose the red pepper dressing to keep it vegan
- Falafels coated in sesame seeds and served with a tahini sauce, olives and a cucumber tomato salad
Served with vegan spread and fresh salad. Choose from the following vegan fillings:
- Vegetarian spicy beans
- Baked beans
- Vegetarian haggis
- Grated carrot
- Cauliflower curry A vegan curry of chargrilled cauliflower in a tahini and coconut curry sauce. Topped with pistachios and pomegranate. Served with vegan naan bread and rice
The falafels are really delicious, served with a tahini sauce and you can order the flatbread as extra if you want a more filling meal.
Meanwhile, the cauliflower curry is so creamy that Mr B kept turning to me while he was eating and asking “are you SURE this is vegan”? For the record, yes it is, the folks at the Filmhouse have just managed to make a lovely sauce out of coconut milk that really nails the texture.
Even if you’re not planning on catching a movie, the Filmhouse Café is a great place to grab some lunch, dinner or a light bite. Pop in and give it a try!
Menu info: ★★★★☆
Value for money: ★★★☆☆