54-56 North Bridge
+44(0)131 225 2044
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Bella Italia is an Italian chain restaurant, with a couple of locations in Edinburgh. It serves up reliably good Italian food to Edinburgh locals and visitors alike. Its North Bridge restaurant is particularly handy for those exploring the Royal Mile.
Vegan food at Bella Italia
Bella Italia has a separate vegan menu, so there’s absolutely no confusion about what’s vegan and what’s not. At the time of writing the following dishes are suitable for vegans:
Bread and olives
- Mixed Italian olives Marinated with parsley and garlic
- Zuppa del Giorno Soup of the day: ask for today’s flavour. Served with toasted ciabatta
- Bruschetta Vine tomatoes, red onion, basil, rocket and olive oil on ciabatta toast
- Pomodoro Fresh pasta twists in a rich tomato sauce (or swap the pasta for spiralised vegetable ‘spaghetti’ made with courgettes, carrots and golden beetroot)
- Lenticchie Spaghetti with a rich lentil and mushroom ragu
- Create your own pizza Vegan when made without mozzarella
- Risotto Funghi Rich mushroom risotto with Pachino tomatoes, rocket and sweet balsamic glaze
- Spiralised veg pasta Lenticchie Carrot, golden beetroot and courgette spirals with a rich lentil and mushroom ragu
- Mill Colori Roast peppers, onion, courgette, tomato sauce, salsa verde and pine nuts (no cheese). Served with a side salad.
- Verde burger Cannellini beans, garlic and Mediterranean veg herb burger with salsa verde, tomato, onion and lettuce. Served in a warm bun, with a side salad.
- Insalata verde Avocado, green beans, peas, cucumbers, mixed leaves, spring onion with salsa verde and pumpkin seeds
- Roast Mediterranean vegetables
- Mixed salad
Mr B and I popped in on a weekday evening, and the place was reassuringly busy. As we sat at our table we explained to the server that we were vegan, so he was more than happy to provide a copy of the dedicated vegan menu.
To start, we shared a place of bruschetta. When it came to our table, we were relieved that we had made the decision to split it between two, as it was quite a hearty serving! It was really delicious too.
For our main course, I had the spaghetti lenticchie while Mr B had the new verde burger and side salad (unfortunately the chips are not vegan). I really enjoyed my pasta, while the burger and salad also looked like a satisfying meal.
If you’re wanting some consistently decent Italian food, then Bella Italia is a solid bet. With a wide range of dishes, it’s also a good place to go and enjoy with non-vegan friends and family.
We visited the restaurant on North Bridge for our review, but you can also dine at Bella Italia at 9/11 Hanover Street.
Menu info: ★★★★☆
Value for money: ★★★★☆