104 Hanover Street
+44(0)131 225 6220
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Bar Soba is a cocktail bar on Hanover Street with a funky, laid-back vibe. It has a buzzing bar with a comprehensive cocktail menu and during the day they serve up a nice menu of pan-Asian dishes, a handful of which can be tweaked to be made vegan-friendly.
Vegan food at Bar Soba
While it’s not hugely clear on the menu, most of the staff are very knowledgeable about what can be made vegan – so don’t be afraid to ask. They have a new menu coming out in a few weeks, which will apparently be clearer on the vegan labelling front. At the time of writing, the following dishes are available:
- Vegetable gyoza dumplings with teriyaki dip
- Wok-fried Asian greens
- Super Thai fries Loaded fries with peanut sauce, Soba mayo, Sriracha chilli sauce, crushed peanuts and fried shallots (ask to hold the mayo)
- Roast cauliflower and pea madras curry Steamed rice, mint yoghurt and poppadoms (ask to hold the yoghurt)
- Basil chilli stir fry Wok fried Asian greens and tofu in chilli paste, garlic, light soy and basil with jasmine rice, cashew and fresh chilli
- Pad Thai noodles Classic Thai rice noodles with roasted peanuts and chilli flakes with mixed vegetables and tofu
- Nasi Goreng Spiced Indonesian fried rice topped with sambal, fried egg, peanut sauce, crispy tempura vegetables and jumbo “prawn” cracker (ask to hold the egg)
I popped along to take advantage of their £7 lunch deal and had a nice wee bowl of the Pad Thai. It was sitcky and sweet, with a nice kick from the chilli. The generous helping of tofu was airy and light, and would certainly go down well with one of their adventurous and exotic cocktails. It was a pretty decent serving too, so great value for money.
Bar Soba has a good atmosphere, so I would definitely recommend for a casual lunch or dinner. Once they improve the labelling on the new menu, I am sure more vegans will confidently be able to enjoy the food here.
Menu info: ★★★☆☆
Value for money: ★★★★★