This is an old page, so some of the details here may be out of date. Check out Vegan Edinburgh’s city guides for the latest and most accurate information.
104 Hanover Street
+44(0)131 225 6220
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Bar Soba is a cocktail bar on Hanover Street with a funky, laid-back vibe. It has a buzzing bar with a comprehensive cocktail menu and during the day they serve up a nice menu of pan-Asian dishes, many of which are now vegan-friendly.
Vegan food at Bar Soba
Bar Soba has a great menu that has lots of vegan-friendly dishes, and a few more that can be made vegan when you ask. Here is the vegan menu as it currently stands:
- Super Thai Fries Crispy fries smothered in peanut sauce, Sriracha, crushed peanuts, crispy shallots and spring onions (ask to hold the chilli mayo to make it vegan)
Served steamed or fried
- Vegetable gyoza dumplings with teriyaki dip
- Basil chilli stir fry Wok-fried Asian greens and tofu in chilli paste, garlic, light soy and basil with jasmine rice, cashew and fresh chilli
- Buttermilk fried cauliflower katsu curry with jasmine rice (no, it’s not real buttermilk)
- Veg gyoza ramen Noodles in a smoky broth with veg gyoza and Asian vegetables (dish can be made vegan on request)
- Pad Thai noodles Classic Thai rice noodles with roasted peanuts and chilli flakes with mixed vegetables and tofu (can be made vegan on request)
- Nasi goreng Spiced Indonesian fried rice topped with sambal and peanut sauce with vegetable tempura (can be made vegan on request)
How much does it cost?
Bar Soba’s food menu is excellent value for money, with most small dishes around £5 and the large plates at £10-11 each.
Is it any good?
I am personally a huge fan of Bar Soba. If you want really flavoursome vegan food, this is definitely the place to be. Their noodles are really tasty, but my personal favourite is the vegan version of the Super Thai Fries: the combination of the peanut sauce and Sriracha is really moreish!
Bar Soba has a varied menu of veggie and non-veggie dishes, so it’s a great place to go if you want to socialise with your omnivore friends.
Menu info: ★★★☆☆
Value for money: ★★★★★
Bar Soba opening hours
These opening hours are correct at the time of writing. For the most accurate times, check Bar Soba’s website (linked above).
Monday 12 pm – 12 am
Tuesday 12 pm – 12 am
Wednesday 12 pm – 12 am
Thursday 12 pm – 12 am
Friday 12 pm – 12 am
Saturday 12 pm – 12 am
Sunday 12 pm – 12 am