9-13 Shandwick Place
+44(0)131 241 1048
Overall score: ★★★★☆
I was really pleasantly surprised during a recent visit to ASK Italian, because they have a completely separate vegan menu – and its pretty comprehensive to boot! Whether you want a big plate of hearty pasta, or want to indulge in a vegan pizza (hello vegan cheese!) ASK Italian in the West End has a great vibe and is a solid option for vegan Italian dining.
Vegan food at ASK Italian
Bread and Nibbles
- Vegan Italian olives Large green Nocellara olives from Sicily
- Vegan spicy nuts & nibbles Almonds, cashews, crispy corn kernels and chickpeas
- Vegan rosemary & sea salt bread Add olive tapanade or spicy tomato dip for an extra cost
- Vegan Tuscan bread salad Torn Tuscan bread, yellow courgettes, tomatoes, cucumber, roasted peppers, red onions and pine nuts. Dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Vegan baked dough balls Served with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Vegan bruschetta Toasted Pagnotta bread with marinated tomatoes and fresh basil
Top your own vegan prima pizza Add three toppings to ASK Italian’s tomato and vegan mozzarella alternative base (gluten-free also available).
Choose from: Marinated artichokes, sautéed mushrooms, grilled aubergines, caramelised onions, roasted peppers or olives
- Vegan spaghetti al pomodoro Santos tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil in a rich tomato sauce
- Vegan penne arrabiata Penne pasta in a fiery rich tomato and basil sauce
- Vegan fettuccine con verdure Flat ribbon pasta with fine green beans, oven-roasted tomatoes and spinach, seasoned with chilli and garlic, and topped with olive tapenade
- Vegan fettuccine con melanzane Flat ribbon pasta with grilled aubergines in a rich tomato, garlic and basil sauce
- Vegan spaghetti lentil ragu Mixed vegetable and lentil ragu
- Vegan mixed salad
- Vegan rocket salad
- Vegan roast charlotte potatoes
- Vegan rainbow salad Candy stripe beetroot, yellow courgettes, Santos tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, mixed leaves, radish, pine nuts and a sweet mustard dressing on the side
- Vegan sorbetti Two scoops of Italian speciality sorbets. Choose from raspberry, mango, mango or prosecco
- Vegan blood orange and chocolate tart Zesty dark chocolate tart with a nut and date base, served with tangy raspberry sorbet
While I only had a plate of pasta on this visit (sometimes you just can’t fight the urge to fill your face with carbs), I will definitely be back to try more of ASK Italian’s offering. Their vegan fettuccine con melanzane was delicious: hearty and satisfying, with slices of tender aubergine throughout. The olives were also perfect as a pre-meal nibble.
It’s great to see vegans being so well catered for in chains such as ASK Italian. If you find yourself in the West End looking for a filling Italian feast, then ASK will have you sorted. Bellissimo!
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆