305 Leith Walk
Phone: 0131 629 5947
Overall score: ★★★★★
305 Kitchen is a small café in the middle of Leith Walk. I heard on the grape-vine a wee while ago that this place did some decent vegan options, so I was delighted to make some time to try it out a few days ago.
The 305 Kitchen specialises in slow-cooked comfort food, and its vegan offering is no exception, with tender pulled jackfruit and comforting vegan haggis, plus much more. There are some good gluten-free options too.
The venue is fairly small and charming with just a handful of tables, but this gives it a lovely intimate atmosphere and if it the weather is good you can always dine ‘al-fresco’ at the sunny tables outside.
Vegan food at 305 Kitchen
305 Kitchen has very helpfully put all of its vegan options in its own section on the menu, so it is very easy to pick out which dishes are vegan-friendly. At the time of writing, these are:
- Vegan falafel plate Homemade falafel served on mixed leaves, topped with toasted seeds and balsamic dressing. Served with harissa-topped hummus.
- Vegan soups Whenever possible the vegetarian soup option will also be vegan. Please ask your server for today’s options. Served with bread.
- Vegan falafel flatbread Locally made flatbread filled with homemade falafel, roasted peppers, chilli jam, salad leaves and toasted mixed seeds with a balsamic dressing.
- Vegan hummus and olives Harissa topped hummus, olives, toasted flatbread and corn chips
- Vegan ‘club’ sandwich Veggie haggis, avocado, roasted pepper, beetroot, salad leaves, tomatoes and tomato chutney. Dressed with curry oil and served on chunky bread, with dressed salad.
- Vegan nachos Corn chips layered with BBQ sauce, vegan chilli mayo, tomatillo salsa verde, lime dressed avocado and jalapenos. Add veggie haggis or pulled jackfruit for an extra cost.
- Vegan spicy pulled jackfruit Shredded jackfruit slow cooked in smoky BBQ sauce. Topped with tomatillo salsa verde and jalapenos. Served on chunky bread or a dressed side salad.
How much does it cost?
The meal pictured above came to £18.50 (excluding tip), which in my opinion was excellent value for money.
At the time of writing, most dishes hover around £5 – £7, with the huge club sandwich above costing £6.95, and the smaller falafel plate coming in at £5.25. A small bowl of soup will only set you back £3.00, and a small plate of vegan nachos is only £4.25.
Is it any good?
A word to the wise – the vegan club sandwich is an absolute beast, and is the dish to order if you are feeling very VERY hungry! With beetroot, avocado, peppers and a generous helping of vegan haggis, it towered high off the plate and Mr B looked very nervous when it came to our table. Right enough, even with a fair appetite on him, Mr B could not conquer this freaking monster of a sandwich.
I am always a bit cynical with unnaturally large portions like these, because sometimes I feel quality is sacrificed in favour of quantity. But this certainly wasn’t the case here. The chunky bread was soft and fresh, and the haggis was absolutely delicious. It was a shame Mr B’s stomach could not make room for it all.
I had the much more reasonably sized falafel plate. 305 Kitchen make their own falafel in-house and it is freshly prepared to order, meaning that it came out lovely and warm on the plate. The side salad was also really nice, with a generous helping of seeds that gave the leaves a nice additional crunch.
Thankfully I just had enough room to stretch to a slice of vegan carrot cake, which was the only vegan cake on offer that day. However, the sponge was lovely and soft and nicely spiced. Even Mr B, who was reeling from that massive sandwich, still managed to sneak in a mouthful or two.
305 Kitchen is a lovely wee gem on Leith Walk. With a cosy intimate setting and a decent vegan offering, this charming café is definitely worth a visit.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★★
305 Kitchen Opening Hours
These opening hours are correct at the time of writing. For the most accurate times, check 305 Kitchen’s website (linked above).
Tuesday 10 am – 8 pm
Wednesday 10 am – 8 pm
Thursday 10 am – 8 pm
Friday 10 am – 8 pm
Saturday 10 am – 8 pm
Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
Love 305 Kitchen? Pin it for later!