The Herbivore Kitchen
65 Clerk Street
+44(0)7713 017 857
Overall score: ★★★★★
We were very excited to try The Herbivore Kitchen – this new completely vegetarian café in Newington comes with previous form, because it’s by the same people behind The Herbivore Supper Club, The Herbivore Box and those incredible brownies you find at pretty much every vegan fair in Scotland.
Alison has brought her legendary culinary skills to a permanent home in Newington, with a little help from her friends such as Sgaia’s Vegan Meats, Grumpy Food and Considerit. Read on to find out about the tasty options available at this new exciting café:
Vegan food available at The Herbivore Kitchen
Most of the dishes at The Herbivore Kitchen are suitable or can be made suitable for vegans. They’ve recently updated their menu for the autumn / winter season, so at the time of writing, those options are:
- Herbivore cranachan bowl with coconut yoghurt, pineapple, passion fruit and homemade granola
A stack of homemade pancakes topped with one of the following choices…
- Pumpkin pancakes with Sgaia streaky bacon, banana, maple syrup, walnuts and pecans
- Beetroot pancakes, caramelised onion, spinach, wild mushroom sauce
- Pumpkin pancakes with haggis with homemade giant baked beans
Wraps / Kuku
Served with a side salad of your choice (salads section see below)…
- Giant sushi roll with acocado, cucumber, spring onion, wasabi mayonnaise and picked ginger
- Sweet potato falafel, ginger glazed carrots, caramelised onion hummus and rocket
- Sweetcorn fritters, avocado, tomato salsa and refried beans
- Grumpy Food kuku and side salad
- Thai pickled sesame salad
- Celeriac and fennel remoulade
- Lemon lentil daal, roasted butternut squash, coriander tofu, spring oniions and pickled mooli
- Hasselback patatas bravas and garlic aioli
- Flower pot pie (jackfruit BBQ pie with Sgaia bacon) with hasselback potatoes and celeriac remoulade
- Seasonal soup with spinach and coriander scone
A taste of The Herbivore Kitchen
- Hasslelback potatoes, Grumpy Food Kuku, mini stack of mushroom and caramelised onion pancakes, Herbivore signature brownie or cheesecake
There’s always a bunch of sweet treats on offer, such as brownies, donuts, oat bars, scones and more. Take a look at the counter for the selection of the day.
Sunday vegan roast
The Herbivore Kitchen have also started doing a vegan roast on a Sunday, with a delicious nut loaf, hassleback potatoes, roast veg and a vegan yorkshire pudding
With such an exciting menu filled with inventive options, Mr B and I really struggled to decide what to have! We finally settled on “bacon” and maple syrup pancakes for him, and a Grumpy Food kuku and salad for me.
The pancakes were super fluffy and served with a generous helping of Sgaia’s vegan streaky bacon. The cauliflower kuku was lovely and warm and served with a wee bit of their coconut and lime slaw (from their summer menu). I really enjoyed this sweet and refreshing salad, and might just opt for the full helping next time so I can try their flatbread.
There was also a tempting selection of sweet treats and bakes, and we simply could not leave without trying their lovely vegan cinnamon rolls and grabbing a mint chocolate brownie for later.
I also paid a visit a couple of months later to try their new vegan roast dinner. Available on Sundays only (at the time of writing), this delicious plate of comfort food features a tasty nut loaf, roasted sprouts, hasselback potatoes and a delicious vegan yorkshire pudding swimming in red wine gravy.
The Herbivore Kitchen is a great wee addition to Newington’s main thoroughfare, offering a great range of lunchtime snacks and treats for vegans to sit in or takeaway. A fantastic option for an indulgent and cruelty-free brunch or lunch and I hope it remains a feature of Newington’s foodie scene for many years to come.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆