The Herbivore Kitchen
65 Clerk Street
+44(0)7713 017 857
Overall score: ★★★★★
We were very excited to try The Herbivore Kitchen – this new completely vegetarian café in Newington comes with previous form, because it’s by the same people behind The Herbivore Supper Club, The Herbivore Box and those incredible brownies you find at pretty much every vegan fair in Scotland.
Alison has brought her legendary culinary skills to a permanent home in Newington, with a little help from her friends such as Sgaia’s Vegan Meats, Grumpy Food and Considerit. Read on to find out about the tasty options available at this new exciting café:
Vegan food available at The Herbivore Kitchen
Most of the dishes at The Herbivore Kitchen are suitable or can be made suitable for vegans. At the time of writing, those options are:
A stack of homemade pancakes topped with one of the following choices…
- Sgaia streaky bacon with banana, pecans and maple syrup
- Herbivore cranachan (coconut yoghurt, grilled pineapple and passionfruit)
- Haggis with homemade giant baked beans
Rolls / Sandwiches
Served with a side salad of your choice (salads section see below)…
- Black olive tapanade, roasted red peppers and tomatoes with watercress
- Lemon, mint and edamame purée, chargrilled courgette and pea shoots
- Tandoori aubergine, coriander chutney and pickled carrot ribbons
Served with a flatbread on the side…
- Coconut and lime slaw with grilled pineapple and cashews
- Tomato pesto, roasted beetroot, pea shoots and pickled red onion
- Giant cous couse, date and tamarind dressing, butternut squash and zataar
- Tom yum Thai broth with rice noodles
- Three bean chilli, guacamole and cornbread
Kuku and salad
A choice of Grumpy Food kukus (ask at the counter for today’s selection) and a side salad of your choice (see salad section above)
Served with a pot of tea or mug of coffee…
- Mini roll (choice of three), red pepper, almond and pomegranate molasses filo parcel, black forest opera cake and choice of cinnamon bun or cardamom scone served with rhubarb jam
- Kuku, small bowl of salad, brownie, lemon curd and pistachio opera cake
There’s always a bunch of sweet treats on offer, such as brownies, donuts, oat bars, scones and more. Take a look at the counter for the selection of the day.
With such an exciting menu filled with inventive options, Mr B and I really struggled to decide what to have! We finally settled on “bacon” and maple syrup pancakes for him, and a Grumpy Food kuku and salad for me.
The pancakes were super fluffy and served with a generous helping of Sgaia’s vegan streaky bacon. The cauliflower kuku was lovely and warm and served with a wee bit of their coconut and lime slaw. I really enjoyed this sweet and refreshing salad, and might just opt for the full helping next time so I can try their flatbread.
There was also a tempting selection of sweet treats and bakes, and we simply could not leave without trying their lovely vegan cinnamon rolls and grabbing a mint chocolate brownie for later.
The Herbivore Kitchen is a great wee addition to Newington’s main thoroughfare, offering a great range of lunchtime snacks and treats for vegans to sit in or takeaway. A fantastic option for an indulgent and cruelty-free brunch or lunch and I hope it remains a feature of Newington’s foodie scene for many years to come.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆