Seeds for the Soul
167 Bruntsfield Place
Overall score: ★★★★★
After much anticipation, Seeds for the Soul is finally open! Taking over the previous Moon and Hare premises in Bruntsfield, this charming little café serves breakfast, lunch and sweet treats – all of which are completely vegan.
The owners are very passionate about good food, using organic ingrediences where possible and making everything from scratch right on the premises.
Vegan food available at Seeds for the Soul
- Sweet pancakes Banana, berries, almond flakes with maple or chocolate syrup
- Yummy toast 2 slices of white or brown organic sourdough bread with your choice of
- Olive oil, avocado, red onion, garlic, tomato, fresh basil and hemp seeds
- Hummus, roast peppers, rocket and hemp seeds
Lunch (available from 11:30)
- Soup of the day with organic sourdough bread
Toasted organic sourdough bread sandwich with your choice of…
- Vegan cheese, seitan, jalapenos, red onion, peppers, liquid smoke
- Vegan cheese, pesto, tomato, spinach
- Vegan cheese, avocado, tomato, sundried tomato, liquid smoke
Wrap me up
A flatbread wrap filled with your choice of…
- Hummus, falafel, tomato, lettuce, red onion with mango chutney
- Mexican mushrooms, avocado, lettuce, cheese, coriander salsa
- Seitan, vegan cheese, lettuce, tomato, gherkins, red onion with smoky barbeque sauce
- Tofu, soba noodles, avocado, lettuce, shredded carrot, rocket, coriander, sesame seeds with ginger garlic soya dressing
- Seitan, soba noodles, purple cabbage, shredded carrot, spinach with satay sauce
- Falafel, hummus, roasted chickpeas, spinach, cucumber, shredded carrot, hemp seeds with mango chutney
- On the Beach Pineapple, banana, chia seeds and coconut milk
- Green Delight Spinach, banana, pineapple, orange, spirulina and almond milk
- Summer Vibes Strawberries, raspberries, banana, hemp seeds and oat milk
- Coco Loco Banana, cocoa, peanut butter, maca and soy milk
- Krav Maca Blueberries, banana, maca, cinnamon, almond extract and oat milk
… and a range of lovely cakes and bakes that are available at the counter.
Shortly after its opening, we popped along to Seeds for the Soul for a lazy Sunday breakfast. While it was fairly quiet when we arrived, it quickly filled up with people while we were there. We enjoyed a couple of coffees made with oat and coconut milk, and there are lots of other dairy-free milk choices available.
I had the avocado toast, which was made with brown sourdough bread. While the toppings may look a bit sparse in the pictures above, the olive oil actually kept the bread nice and moist, making the whole thing very nicely balanced.
I also sneaked a slice of carrot cake to take away (please don’t judge – they looked so irresistible!). It was rich, soft, moist and sweet with a deliciously smooth cream “cheese” icing. Absolutely delicious!
The place has only been open for barely a week at the time of writing but the selection and tastiness of the food shows that the guys of Seeds for the Soul have already really hit their stride. I’m sure this place will be delighting vegans in Edinburgh for many years to come.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆