Bread Meats Bread
92 Lothian Road
+44(0)131 225 3000
Overall Score: ★★★★★
If you’re searching for a vegan burger fix in Edinburgh’s West End, look no further than Bread Meats Bread. This popular burger joint has only been on Lothian Road for a year or two, but it’s already built up a stellar reputation with local omnivores and vegans alike.
They don’t take bookings, so just pop along – but be prepared to wait for a wee while during popular dining hours.
Trust us, it’s worth the wait.
Vegan choices available at Bread Meats Bread
Bread Meats Bread has lots of vegan “burgers” plus even more that can be made vegan on request. At the time of writing, these are:
- Radical Reuben: Vegan Pastramheat with vegan gouda cheese and sauerkraut; finished with veganaise and served with mixed pickles
- Baba Falafel Burger: Beetroot and Peppadew pepper Falafel Burger served on a bed of Baba Ganoush. Ask for the vegan version to replace the feta and cucumber salad with balsamic dressed peppery leaves, cheezy veganaise and pickles
- BBQ Pulled Mushroom Bun: BBQ Pulled King Oyster mushrooms in a smoky BBQ sauce with grilled peppers and onions. Ask for the vegan version to replace the standard coleslaw with pickled cabbage and veganaise instead
- Vegan Fried Chick’n Burger: Vegan Buttermilk fried seitan burger on a bed of pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and vegan Sriracha mayo
- Vegan Fried Chick’n Cheeze: Vegan Buttermilk fried seitan burger on a bed of pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and vegan Sriracha mayo, topped with gooey vegan cheese
- Vegan Fried Chick’n Cheeze Bacon Burger: Vegan Buttermilk fried seitan burger on a bed of pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and vegan Sriracha mayo, topped with gooey vegan cheese and crispy streaky mheat rashers
- Angry Vegan: Vegan Buttermilk fried seitan burger dipped in hot buffalo sauce, topped with lettuce and jalapenos and smothered in vegan blue cheeze mayo
I’m just going to come straight out and say it – I love Bread Meats Bread. Like, big time. Despite being a traditional burger place, they have so much choice for vegans and it is all absolutely devine. Last time I went, I had the pulled BBQ mushroom sandwich – ohmygoodness, if I could marry a sandwich, I would. Lots of delicious mushrooms and peppers smothered in a sweet and sticky BBQ sauce smoothed out with some veganaise – absolutely perfect.
Mr B also found his love for seitan with the fried vegan “chick’n” burger. Sadly there was no vegan cheese left on our last visit, but they were happy to do a burger for him without it. He still found it absolutely delicious, so I am sure it’s even better when the cheese joins the party.
The menu is pretty good value for money too – expect to spend around £25 for burgers and sides for two people. I cannot rate Bread Meets Bread enough – if you’re looking for a satisfying junk food feed, this is the place to go. An essential stop for any vegan visiting Edinburgh!
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆