All Bar One
29 George Street
+44(0)131 226 9971
Overall Score: ★★★★★
All Bar One is one of the many bar/restaurant chains that has jumped on the Veganuary bandwagon for 2018. While they already have a few vegan options on their food menu, they have extended their vegan offering for Veganuary and it has proven so popular that they are running it all the way to the end of February. So what makes this vegan menu so special? I popped along to the George Street restaurant to find out.
Vegan food at All Bar One
During All Bar One’s Veganuary campaign, they have a really robust separate vegan menu full of tempting choices. It’s currently due to run until the end of February 2018, but here’s hoping they decide to continue it on for longer!
The dishes that are also on the full menu are marked with an asterisk*, so you can get the idea of what will be available once the Veganuary promotion ends.
- Crushed avocado and tomato bruschetta* with Kalamata olives and red onion
- Pardrón peppers* sprinkled with Maldon sea salt
- Seasonal mushroom tempura* Toasted sesame and miso dip
- Chilli non carne tacos Lightly grilled tortillas filled with crushed avocado and chilli non carne topped with nacho crumb and served with a turtle bean and pineapple salsa
- Rainbow wrap* Beetroot houmous, artichoke, fresh avocado, carrot, fire roasted peppers and rocket leaves in a flour tortilla
- The vegan burger* Aubergine and Harissa patty, beetroot houmous, fire-roasted peppers, served in an ancient grain bun with fries
- Superfood quinoa salad* Baby kale with quinoa, chickpeas, spiced cauliflower, spiralised carrot, mint, coriander, pomegranate, pineapple and ginger dressing and Omega seed sprinkle
- Miso rice bowl* Pak choi, broccoli, peppers and sugar snaps. Topped with a carrot, pea shoots and sesame salad. Served with sriracha and soy
- Greens & Grains Chopped spinach, spiced quinoa and brown rice, broccoli, soya beans and lemon oil dressing
- Supergreen laksa Vermicelli noodles served in a spiced coconut sauce with pak choi, broccoli and spinach topped with beansprouts
- Lentil and cashew dahl Kale pakoras, pomegranate, roasted cauliflower and coconut and coriander sauce
- Raspberry sorbet
- Coconut and vanilla rice pudding with blueberry compote
It’s also worth noting that All Bar One have a full vegan drink menu, including a selection of vegan wines.
I was really impressed with the vegan food at All Bar One. The menu was really varied, with exotic options like the supergreen laksa sitting comfortably beside surefire favourites like the vegan burger. The mushroom tempura was decadent, warm and comforting – and the portion was so big I didn’t mind sharing them a little with friends! The supergreen laksa appears to be a temporary addition to the menu, but it was so good I really hope the kitchen consider keeping it on a more permanent basis.
The lentil and cashew dahl had already sold out when we arrived – which goes to show the popularity of the vegan options here. I would really recommend you pop along before the end of February before the promotion ends, because this is an incredible effort on the part of All Bar One. Bravo!
This review was done at All Bar One George Street, however it can also be found at 50 Lothian Road and Edinburgh Airport.
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆