+44(0)131 290 2500
Overall score: ★★★★☆
Vegan food available at Akva
Akva is a spacious-yet-cosy Swedish bar located in Fountainbridge. Owned by the folk who also run Boda Bar, Joseph Pearces, Hemma and more, you’ll be hard-pressed to find somewhere that does Scandinavian ‘hygge’ better than right here.
While it is known as a predominantly Swedish bar, Akva takes inspiration from food all over the world. There’s a good smattering of vegan options here, all of which are marked clearly on the menu with ‘VG’.
- Manna House bread with homemade oils
- Vegan kedgeree Fried rice with roasted pine nuts, walnuts and cashews, tomato and chilli chutney (can be served as a starter or bigger main course portion)
- Spicy bean burger Nacho crumb, tomato & chilli jam, guacamole, crispy salad and vegan bun (served with a side salad – add chips for an extra cost)
- Superfood salad Rocket, mango, avocado, pomegranate, toasted seeds and raspberry dressing
- Spicy sweet potato salad Dressed leaves, chilli, red onions, spring onion and orange vinaigrette dressing
- Roasted squash and chickpea salad Lemon and poppyseed dressed rocket leaves
- Sweet potato wedges
- Side salad
- Crispy kale
- Tropical fruit salad and mango sorbet
While the selection is on the small side, the food here is excellent. I love combining a starter portion of the spicy yet moreish kedgeree with a portion of their delicious fries – shaped perfectly to scoop up a generous dipping of ketchup!
The salads are really good as well. I guess it comes with the territory, but all the salads are pretty much safe for vegans. My dining companion opted for the spicy sweet potato salad – it looked lovely and colourful and I’m told it was really tasty and filling.
Akva has a great atmosphere, so it’s good to know that they have a decent food offering for vegans. It’s a firm favourite for Edinburgh locals to enjoy a drink, but remember you can get a nice feeding here too!
Menu info: ★★★★★
Value for money: ★★★★☆